Sunday, August 19, 2007

"I missed you so much" in the place of "good bye"

Here goes interesting words by Death Cab for Cutie:

And it came to me then that every plan is a tiny prayer to father time. As I stared at my shoes in the ICU that reeked of piss and 409 and I rationed my breathes as I said to myself that I'd already taken too much today. As each descending peak of the LCD took you a little farther away from me, amongst the vending machines and year-old magazines in a place where we only say goodbye.
It stung like a violent wind that out memories depend on a faulty camera in our minds, but I knew that you were a truth I would rather lose than to have never lain beside at all. And I looked around at all the eyes on the ground as the TV entertained itself - 'Cause there's no comfort in the waiting room', just nervous pacers bracing for bad news.
And then the nurse comes round and everyone will lift their heads, but I'm thinking of what Sarah said that "Love is watching someone die" . So who's going to watch you die?

Good words! This is one angle of this lyrics: I tried to describe my feelings after having listened to that: sadness, for realizing how painful it is to say "good bye"; melancholia - realizing that I already said "good bye" many times. Fear - do I have someone to watch myself, or someone I can watch?

We all have experienced terminated relationships, but why does that hurt so much? Just the thought of that gives me shrives.

I begin to realize what actually the fact that we were made in the image of the triune God means - we are relational beings. And here is the absurdity of death - it cuts off relationships. Just those who already said "good bye" understand this pain: saying good bye to your parents before what expects you in the future, good bye to friends, situations, feelings, people you love. We were not meant to say good bye!

Jesus himself wasn't spared from such pain - in his cross, out of love for us, he was for the first and only time ever before and ever after, separated from the father. The climax of his agony, the climax of the world's agony, the epithet of death's absurdity. Jesus' good bye!

What a picture of the pain and wrongness of separation, the pain and wrongness of good byes! However, the power of the gospel, of God's good news finds it's full meaning when sin is meaningfully realized, when the good byes are truly felt. The privilege of good-byes - realizing its wrongness, and the redemption brought by the cross. Christ didn't stay on the cross, the separation had an end, the relationship was re-established, the once "good bye" was replaced by a warm "I missed you so much"!

Death was abolished, good byes will no longer exist.

Life goes by fast - that's the impression of living in a linear space. However, the world that is to come will not be based on time, but on eternity, where life is, and it does not go away- good byes will have no more meanings for things will be "forever".

No comments: